The Golden House
It was built for the Contarini family between 1428 and 1430, the architects were Giovanni Bon and his son, Bartolomeo. Following the fall of the Venetian republic in 1797, the palace changed hands several times.
In 1916 it was bequeathed by its final owner, Giorgio Franchetti, to the Italian state and is now an art gallery. The Ca' d'Oro acquired its name as a result of the gilt decorations, which once adorned its exterior walls.