Messing about in boats...

Shortly after 9am this morning, under the bluest of skies and with the temperature already in the mid-twenties, the fortieth Vogalonga got under way. 
Vogalonga, 2014, Venice
The Vogalonga is a very popular rowing regatta and this year 1800 vessels of all shapes and sizes took part. The circular course, which is 30 kilometres long, starts at the Bacino San Marco and ends at the church of Santa Maria della Salute. The route takes in the islands of Sant'Erasmo, Burano, Mazzorbo and Murano before returning along the Grand Canal via the Rio di Cannaregio. 

I didn't wake up in time to see the boats depart so at 10.30am I stationed myself at the point where the Rio di Cannaregio debouches into the Grand Canal. This gave me a great (and shaded) view of the Ponte delle Guglie and fifteen or minutes later the first boat appeared to raucous applause. I stayed for an hour watching more and more boats appear. Those which were rowed in the Venetian style (standing up) always received the most applause.
The Vogalonga, 2014, Venice
Perhaps, I will take part myself next year. 

Comments

Popular Posts