San Giorgio dei Greci

San Giorgio dei Greci, Venice
San Giorgio dei Greci
Yesterday afternoon I ticked off another church on my long, but steadily shrinking, list of churches to visit and what a beauty it is.  

Whenever I pass San Giorgio dei Greci I check to see if it is open, but it never is. However, yesterday was my lucky day and I shot straight in.
San Giorgio dei Greci, Venice
San Giorgio dei Greci
The church was begun in 1539 to a design by Sante Lombardo and consecrated in 1561. 
Its interior is like no other church in Venice that I have ever seen. It is made up of a single nave, lined with wooden stalls, at the end of which is the gilded and elaborately decorated iconostasis. 

San Giorgio dei Greci, Venice
San Giorgio dei Greci
In the middle of the 16th century, when the church was built, there was a large and thriving Greek community in the city. I am not sure how many Greeks live in Venice today, but six of them popped in while I was looking round the church. 

Comments

Popular Posts